The governors, in conjunction with the headteacher, are appointed as strategic leaders of the school. This includes the appointment of all members of staff, teaching and non-teaching, monitoring the school budget share and the overall responsibility for the aims, ethos and implementation of policies of the school.
The governors are there to support the learning journey of every child and to ensure safeguarding measures are in place and adhered to.
All our governors are volunteers and have been appointed as community governors, elected by parents, the local authority or by staff members. We have two foundation governors (one vacancy), seven co-opted governors (three vacancies), one local authority governor, three parent governors (three vacancies), one staff member, one associate member and the headteacher.
Our governors receive relevant training on all aspects of school life and expectations to build their skills to allow them to make informed decisions and challenge the leadership team.
Our governors are supported by LCC Governor Support Service and the National Governors Association, and have access to information from GEL e-learning.
Middleton Primary School Governors 2019-2029
|Vicky||Bluck||Co-opted Representatives||13/07/2015||18/02/2019||Governing Body||18/03/2019|
|Penni||Bullock||Staff Governor Representative||17/11/2018||16/11/2022||Staff|
|Geoffrey||Driver||LA Representatives||01/09/2010||24/06/2019||Local Authority|
|Claire||Fowler||Co-opted Representatives||19/03/2018||06/09/2019||Governing Body|
|Kim||Groves||Co-opted Representatives||25/09/2014||24/06/2022||Governing Body|
|Jon||Hairsine||Co-opted Representatives||29/05/2018||28/05/2022||Vice Chair||Governing Body|
|Sheila||Hunt||Associate Member||01/01/2011||01/01/2023||Governing Body|
|Andrew||Myers||Co-opted Representatives||17/11/2018||19/07/2019||Governing Body|
|James||Norbury||Co-opted Representatives||20/03/2017||19/03/2021||Governing Body|
|Samantha||Williams||Head Teacher||01/09/2007||Head Teacher||N/A|
|Johnathan||Leng||Co-opted Representatives||04/12/2017||22/01/2019||Governing Body||18/03/2019|
Register of Interests
All governors signed a new form registering their business and personal interests. The following was noted:
- Geoff Day is a volunteer reading helper with Beanstalk and Save the Children.
- Jon Hairsine is a director of a limited company that provides education consultancy services in the region. He has no current commercial relationship with the school or any other schools within the LA. Jon is also a governor at Bankside Primary School.
- Kim Groves is a councillor with Leeds City Council and also a governor at Windmill Primary School.
- Sheila Hunt’s husband is occasionally commissioned by the headteacher to carry out repairs in school and is paid via payroll.
Cockburn Multi-Academy Trust Governance Information
As of September 2018 we are part of the Cockburn Multi-Academy Trust.
Download the Cockburn MAT Governing Body Structure and Responsibilities.Click here
Wanted - New Governors
Our school Governing Body is made up of Community, Parent, Partnership, Staff and Local Authority Governors.
Our Governors may come to us through a variety of routes and with a range of different backgrounds, skills and experiences, but they are all volunteers who work together for the benefit of the School and are the link between the School and the community it serves. We are currently looking for new Community, Parent and Partnership Governors and would be delighted to hear from anyone who has:
- an interest in the performance of the school
- a desire to contribute to and represent the community
- an open and enquiring mind
- the ability to look at issues objectively
- the confidence to ask questions and join in debate
- a willingness to listen and make informed judgements
- the ability to work well with others
- time to spare
- a child or children currently attending Middleton Primary School (desireable for elected Parent Governors, although Community and Partnership Governors may also have children at the School)
If you match the above description, you may be the very person to become a Governor at Middleton Primary School. Everyone has something to offer and we want people from as many backgrounds and with as wide a range of interests as possible.
Please apply in writing to the address below if you wish to apply for one of the governor vacancies, or contact us via the website.
Mr Geoff Day
Chair of Governors
Middleton Primary School
Middleton Park Avenue